Newsroom

Pexels Photo 358511

How to keep your tenants fire safe

According to the Home Office there were 556,884 fire-related incidents between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018.  During this time there were, sadly, 247 deaths and 3,106 injuries caused by fire.  Of the 30,412 fires in England, 75% were in a primary dwelling, such as houses, bungalows, converted flats and other properties.  We at Redmayne Miller Rees know that one of your priorities is knowing that your tenants are safe, which is why it is always useful to remind your tenants how they can protect themselves against fire.

 

You have ensured your properties are compliant by having the necessary smoke alarms fitted but it is your tenant’s responsibility to check they are working and to replace batteries when necessary. Do they do it?  We’re sure your tenants would appreciate a reminder to undertake this task, as it is in their interest and yours to keep them safe.

 

We have so much technology in our homes, from the standard TVs and media systems, to gaming and of course smart speakers such as Amazon’s Echo and Alexa.  With this in mind, have you ensured that your rental properties have a sufficient number of electrical sockets? One of the main causes of fires in a home is overloading plug sockets, so ensuring your tenants have enough sockets for their needs will hopefully prevent this from happening.

 

More and more people are experimenting in the kitchen, with companies such as Gousto and Hello Fresh providing you all the tools you need to create a culinary masterpiece.  When it comes to accidental fires, around 48% are caused when appliances are left unattended, such as a chip pan or when you leave a tea towel too close to the hob.

 

During the winter months, your tenants may wish to add additional heating to your rental property by means of heaters.  As great as these are for blasting out additional warmth, it is advisable to let them know the hazards that could be caused by having their laundry close to or drying on these.  Heaters like this can also cause damp if the property is not ventilated property, so you may wish to advise your tenants prior to the start of their tenancy on using them in your property.

 

If you’ve furnished your property you will have checked that all the furniture and furnishings meet the regulatory safety regulations.  But if you’ve inherited furniture with your property, or you have bought second hand, you have no guarantees.  You are legally required to ensure that everything you use to furnish your property is fire safe.

 

How long is it since you checked your property is safe from fire?  If you would like more advice on how to ensure your tenants are safe, contact a member of our team.